Thursday, May 25, 2017

DIY GIANT PAPER BAG + STYLING TIPS



So these super cute giant paper bags are popping up everywhere online and people are finding really cool ways to use them and lots of different designs to affordably style their spaces. So here is my how to with some BONUS styling tips!


YOU WILL NEED:
a pair of scissors
a glue stick
a yard stick (or any ruler you can find)
a pencil or marker
masking tape
a giant roll of painters paper

I found my roll of paper at The Home Depot for about $18. You will want to use this paper instead of regular brown packing paper because it is very thick and will allow your bag to stand up on it's own and hold it's shape.

STEP 1:
Measure out your paper. Once you find the width of your bag, triple it. One panel for the front, one for the back, and one to be split in half to make up the sides.


FOLD ONCE


FOLD TWICE

MARK IT

CUT IT


STEP 2:
Fold each end of the paper into the middle, allowing it to overlap a few inches to glue the seam.

THREE PANELS

FOLD IT

OVERLAP IT

GLUE IT

STEP 3:
Measure the base, then double it. If it doesn't look as thick or narrow as you want it, eyeball it! Once you have the complete length of your base folded upward open it and press down the seams. Continue by folding the top and the bottom flap inward to meet the middle.

MEASURE IT

DOUBLE IT

FOLD IT

OPEN IT

FLATTEN IT

FOLD UP

FOLD DOWN

STEP 4:
Fold in both side and press down creases. Tape bottom seams shut.

FOLD IN LEFT SIDE

FOLD IN RIGHT SIDE

TAPE BOTTOM 

STEP 5:
Now you have to invert all your side seams to create a sturdy paper bag. Push inward and press seams.

PUSH IN SIDES

 SHOULD STAND LIKE THIS 


Once completed I like to roll down the top of my bag to the desired height. Don't worry about wrinkling the paper, it's cuter that way.


To spruce up your plain bag you can paint it, label it, get creative with it. Now here are some ways to use your new, inexpensive decor!


Storing cozy blankets and throws to keep close to the couch.



I use the bags on my desk to store gadgets and chargers. I hide my ugly office trash can in a big one! You can store any number of things in these bags and make them any size and shade you need.
 I recommend color blocking them to suit the color scheme of your space. 
To see more of my guides and DIYs scroll down or check out my Pinterest HERE!

Now go forth and Do It Yourself!