Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Lock Screen Lessons II - A Lesson on Patience


New year, new lessons, new lock screens!
If you're new here, lock screens are my way of creating a habit or keeping a positive thought in my mind to help make good changes in my mindset. My mind runs 100 miles a minute fleeting between new ideas, full on panic, and thoughts of inadequacy, it helps me immensely to have these little mantras where I can see them all the time. This month's lock screen lessons are focused on being happy with where you are now and being patient with where you are going. 

At the start of the year I was so eager to start grinding on my new goals and trying to make it all happen at once. I was forgetting to look back at all the things I had accomplished in 2017. So I needed a little reminder to stop, reflect, give myself a pat on the back, and be happy with how far I've come. 

One day while agonizing over how much I still needed to accomplish and feeling supper bummed (fancy word for depressed) that I wasn't where I wanted to be. I felt like I had no reason to be happy yet. I hadn't made enough progress to be celebrating anything or taking a break. "I just haven't done enough!" and "I'm waisting so much time, but I don't know where to start." were frequent thoughts that plagued me. And then I opened up my life binder to the goals I had written at the start of 2017. To my astonishment those far fetched dreams, seemingly random material things I wanted to have, and the feelings I wanted to feel were all mine. I had accomplished just about everything I wanted to!

I had moved into my own apartment and decorated it to my exact liking. I bought my first car. I surpassed my income goal working only one job. I made a name for myself as the "go-to" girl for most jobs in the hotel I worked at. I owned only things that brought me joy. I made a bigger effort to be a good friend and to constantly be meeting new people. This was a big year for me. And to think I was beating myself up about not accomplishing enough! 

So if you're feeling the same things I was, stop and take a moment to find one thing that you are proud of. Big or small. Then...
BE HAPPY. YOU'VE EARNED IT. 


This one is a big deal for me.
I've had people look down on my life's choices and tell me I wouldn't amount to anything if I didn't go to collage, or get a certain job, or decided on my life long career at 18 years old. People always had something to say about what I was doing. These comments would really grate at me. It made me angry, but more importantly it lit a fire under me. But over time I became discouraged because things weren't moving fast enough. I wasn't as good a photographer as I hoped, or I wasn't picking up a new graphic design tool fast enough. More often then not I was the one standing in my way. But I learned to be patient with myself and the process. Now I'm 21 years old and I'm still figuring it out. Plus side is I've got all the time in the world and it's never too late to start.

Don't fall into somebody else's idea of success and happiness. Stick to your guns. If you need to change directions, change directions. Live your truth, play by your own rules.
BE PATIENT. YOU'LL SHOW 'EM.